Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's time to start again!

Remember us? Well...you probably remember Keith as the writer, but since he has now started PA school, I am going to take over. After much encouragement from friends to start blogging more, and with a lot of extra time on my hands, I decided it was time. So here it goes.

We have been busy with life these past couple months. Keith graduated with his undergrad from BYU, I quit my first real job, we went on a nearly 3 week vacation to Europe, and now we have moved to Chicago after living in Utah for 8 years (only 5 years for Keith)! Quite some life changes.

We are excited about the new adventures in Chicago--especially the fact that there is a restaurant every other door front. But, although I never thought I would say it, there are things I am going to miss about Utah.

The other day, I compiled a list of our favorite restaurants in Utah for my brother who is moving to Utah (bad timing right? We just moved away, and they are now moving there. Sad). I thought I would share this list with all of you, so if you ever find yourself in Utah, you can give some of them a try. I know we have now moved to a wonderful "foodie" city, but some of these restaurants will truly be missed.

Salt Lake County:

Plum Alley. This is an asian fusion restaurant. They have a lot of interesting things, but we particularly enjoyed their ramen noodles. It's not too expensive, if I remember correctly.

Copper Onion
. Right next door to Plum Alley. It is owned by the same guys. This place is a little more expensive. It is delicious, and more like small plates so you can share and try a few different things. I believe they have main entrees, as well, though.

Cucina Tuscana. This is an expensive Italian restaurant. Go there for a special occasion and make a reservation. It is quite delicious, and you may even get a kiss at the end of the night by the Italian owner.

Red Iguana. Just go. It's delicious. Their signature dish with steak tips in their almond mole sauce is fabulous. But we have never had anything bad here. It's great.

Eva. This is a tapas restaurant. Keith has eaten there with his brother, and they both say only good things.

Cafe Madrid. Another Spanish experience. This is also a nicer and more expensive restaurant. We went there a few months ago, and we loved it. The waiter gave us fabulous recommendations for good combos of plates.

Oh Mai. Cheap and absolutely delicious vietnamese cuisine. Super nice people run his place. We have mostly just had their bahn mi (vietnamese sandwiches). We would highly recommend the honey glazed pork sandwich. I bet their pho is also delicious, too. I think we went here about 9 times in 6 or 7 weeks. And I could really go for one now...

Pat's BBQ. This was on Diner's Drive-Inn's and Dives on the Food network. We have been there quite a few times, and they have great BBQ. It's not too expensive, either.

Blue Plate Diner. A great breakfast joint.

Lone Star Taqueria. One of my favorite taqueria's in Utah--with both fish and meat for their taco's and burritos. Their fish is flown in every day from the coast so that it's fresh. The fish tacos changes every day based on what they can get for that day. Their shrimp burritos and tacos are also very delicious.

Tsunami. Great, great sushi place. It is a little more expensive than some sushi places, but some of the best I had in Utah. The Executive Suite roll was out of this world.

Bombay House. Absolutely delicious Indian food. The best around. There are 2 locations--SLC and Provo.


Utah County:


Communal. This place is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and we have enjoyed all 3 meals there. I think my favorite is breakfast, and this is definitely the most affordable meal, as well. Breakfast and lunch are individual portions (for the most part), but dinner is more like small plates that you share with other's in your party. Specifically for side dishes. It is really good.

Pizzeria 712. Owned by the same people who own Communal. Really delicious thin crust pizzas here. They also have good salads, appetizers, and everything!

Thai House in Lehi. This is a great Thai place. Best we found while living in Utah County.

Maria Bonitas. This is a great and cheap Mexican place. It is a hole in the wall, and they give you outrageous portions. I think the first time I went, I had 3 meals out of my 1 purchased meal. Some of the stuff is loaded with cheese, but their carnitas are really delicious (and their carnitas tacos are therefore delicious and not quite so heavy on the cheese).

Mountain West Burrito. Keith has eaten here once and it was really tasty. But since then, the restaurant was taken over by the same people that own Communal and Pizzeria 712. We can only imagine that it would keep getting better. If it is still in the same location, it is in a gas station parking lot on state street when heading down from Orem to Provo.

J-Dawgs. Best hot dog/polish dog ever. 
I am craving one right now just thinking about it. Ha ha. It is right next to the south east corner of BYU's campus. Actually, they just opened a new location on university parkway closer to the freeway, as well. The guy who owns this place uses a secret family recipe for his secret sauce. He gets the dogs and sausages made every day at a local meat shop. And he has the bread made specific for him at the Provo Bakery. If you are ever down near BYU, you really should give it a try. It's cheap and the menu is as simple as choosing beef or polish. 




So there it is. Some of the best places I found over the past 8 years. Maybe one day I will get back to Utah and try some of them again, but until then I am excited to live here in Chicago and start collecting a new list of favorites. 


And since no blog post is complete without a picture, enjoy one of Keith and me at his white coat ceremony. I think this is the only we have of us in Chicago so far. We will change that very soon. 




I look forward to blogging more. I already have a few ideas of other things I can write about...which is highly unusual for me. :) Stay tuned...

5 comments:

bec said...

oooh, thanks for the tips. I've been looking for a good Vietnamese place

Julie Mack said...

So cute my lovely sister and BIL! I can't believe you lived in Provo for 8 years. That's insanity!

Erinn said...

Yay! So glad to find you!

Kristen said...

Loved your post! There's a chance we find ourselves back in Utah and after living in San Diego, we wondered how we could survive without access to some Vietnamese food. I will definitely be saving this list.

Erica Hansen, MS, RD said...

Hooray! We will be adding these to our list to try. Great [pst.